A post that got a bit carried away with itself...

How is it possible that it’s taken me 28 years to realize that a) I love writing and b) I’m fairly good at it? Why has it taken this long for me to understand that my brain needs to be challenged and that writing challenges it in the right way? I wish I could talk with my 17 year old self and tell her not to be such a wuss – to demonstrate some self belief and to try for the scary things. I’d also tell her that dungarees are for decorating only, that straightening irons are going to kill her hair and that it’ll then take 3 – 4 years to fully recover.

(This is where this post goes awry -  totally wasn't originally heading in this direction but it turns out advising my former self is kinda fun)

18 year old self: Loosen up. Alcohol won’t kill you and you can afford to read a few less books about WWI. Realise how good you've got it, try and be cooler than you are and learn to drive dammit.

19 year old self: yes he says the right things but it’s all hot air. And seriously, that hair, those jeans? It’s not a good plan. Also, 19.75 year old self, don’t go chasing Americans across the Atlantic. He’ll come to you and then you’ll be a heck of a lot less neurotic and will get lots more sleep (leading to less neuroses). You’ll also have more money.

20 year old self: Stop being so neurotic. Clearly he loves you. Chill out and stay away from the other one who doesn’t love you but says he does. Bad bad news.  And don’t make decisions on housemates when drunk.

21 year old self: International Relations, while interesting, is a completely impractical degree. If you will insist on studying in America, do something that might actually result in a job. People who study international relations go on to be diplomats, economists or security advisors or other things that involve travel to scary countries and statistics. You are ill equipped for any of these things. And for goodness sake take your passport with you when you take the GRE test. Otherwise your poor choice in housemate will have to go through your laundry (because of course that’s where you’ve left your passport), hand it to a friend who will then have to take a train into london and you’ll be very stressed, poorer and embarrassed.

22 year old self: learn to drive and, failing that, buy a puffy coat. They’re not pretty but they’re warm. Also, tell Jeremy to turn on the darn heating.

23 year old self: steer clear of housemates who dictate what shampoo you use and watch out for bed-mice. Everything will be fine with Jeremy so relax, invest in that travel-card and join the gym.

24 year old self: Seriously, everything’s gonna be fine. OK it might not seem that way but trust me. And you need a thicker duvet - there's no insulation in that flat whatsoever. Also, stop wearing ballet pumps out in January. Your feet get wet and cold and do not help the situation.

25 year old self: See, I told you so. Now don’t go insane over visas and, I know the idea of paying off your overdraft and sleeping on couches sounds like a good one but…

26 year old self: You’re doing ok. Homesickness fades, although it never completely disappears. Not too too long til you get a house and a cat.

27 year old self: in a year’s time you’re going to live 10 minutes away from that job you’ve been offered… consider this before you start throwing ultimatums around.

28 year old self. This probably counts as talking to yourself, which isn’t generally seen as a good thing. Remember to pick up milk on your way home.

29 year old self: Anytime you wanna drop me a note on what not to do, feel free.

I’ll stop now…



1 comment:

  1. GREAT post! And very funny. Makes me wonder what I would say to my 18 year old self...where would I start, I was such a plonker ;)

    Hope your 29 year old self steers you in a good direction.

    ReplyDelete